Last updated December 31, 2017
Chuck Kleinhans giving the keynote at the Radical Film Network NYC: A Global Gathering on May 3rd, 2017
(screenshot from video embedded below)
Yesterday, the terribly sad news reached Film Studies For Free that radical film and media scholar Chuck Kleinhans had died. Along with his wonderful partner in life and work Julia Lesage, Chuck has been a monumentally good friend to this blog over the years, mostly in his capacity as co-founding co-editor of the brilliant journal JUMP CUT, and as a phenomenal advocate for open access and "small gauge" scholarly and activist publishing.
Alongside his own foundational work in cinema and media scholarship, Chuck was a remarkable and hugely influential mentor to many very important scholars in our field. If you should need a sense of what he gave us, please just watch the opening five minutes of the first video embedded below in which his friend (and fellow inspiring scholar and activist) Alexandra Juhasz does a great job of conveying his wonderful contributions.
In this blog's humble view, we are losing Chuck just at the very moment when we need great champions of and participants in radical action like him the most. Let us continue his work as best we can, inspired by all that he did, to keep his memory much alive.
FSFF wishes to mark Chuck's passing in its customary way by this entry of links to his work (already amply available online), including to some as yet relatively uncirculated videos of two of his lectures (below) and eventually to online tributes as these appear. Please feel encouraged to leave your own tributes to him (or links to these) via the comments' thread below.
FSFF sends its condolences and warmest wishes to Julia, and Chuck's family and friends.
Keynote presentation: ‘Imagining Change: a short history of radical film in the USA’,
Chuck Kleinhans (Co-editor, JUMP CUT: A review of contemporary media).
Chair: Alexandra Juhasz (CUNY). Filmed by Mike Wayne for Brunel FilmandTV
During the 2008 Embarrass Valley Film Festival (EVFF) at Eastern Illinois University, speaker Chuck Kleinhans talks about Washington, women, Joan Allen and the Whitehouse
CHUCK KLEINHANS' PUBLICATIONS
- LINKED TO AT JUMP CUT Editing ; Anthologies; Articles (other than Jump Cut); Articles in Jump Cut; Online publication; Reviews, columns; Reportage, introductions, interviews, responses
- LINKED TO CHUCK'S Academia.edu page (more than 40 publicly available pieces by him, including many difficult to locate pieces).
- Charles Nelson Kleinhans (1942 - 2017) Obituary, The Register-Guard, December 26, 2017
- David Hudson's tribute entry at the criterion Daily website, December 27, 2017
- David Hudson's 'Remembering Those We Lost in 2017' entry at The Criterion Daily website, December 30, 2017
- Thomas Waugh writes on the passing of Chuck Kleinhans —via SCMSWomen (@scmswomen) December 16, 2017
More Links to Tributes to Follow