La jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)
An original visual essay exploring the soundscape of Chris Marker's 1962 landmark LA JETÉE.
Un monde plus vide et plus triste: Chris Marker n'y est plus.
Jean-Michel Frodon, July 30, 2012
Five years to the day since the deaths of two other legendary filmmakers Michelangelo Antonioni and Ingmar Bergman, and on the day after his 91st birthday, the death of Chris Marker has been announced.
Film Studies For Free is collecting links to Markerian scholarly and related work online in his immemory. So please come back for frequent updates in the hours and days ahead.
Meanwhile, David Hudson is assembling one of his magnificent tributes at the Keyframe Daily website. And the essential archive Notes from the Era of Imperfect Memory -- devoted to Chris Marker's work on the web -- will undoubtedly respond to this sad event, too.
- David Brancaleone, 'The Interventions of Jean-Luc Godard and Chris Marker into Contemporary Visual Art', Vertigo, 30, 2012
- Lesley Chow, 'The Envelope of Time: Wrapping Up the Past in Chris Marker, Alexander Sokurov, and José Luis Guerín', Bright Lights Film Journal, 73, 2011
- Janet Harbord, 'The Skein of the Archive: Denise Bellon and Remembrance of Things to Come', Afterall, March 23, 2010
- IMAGE [and] NARRATIVE special dossier on Marker (Vol. 11, No. 4, 2010): 'Introduction', Peter Kravanja Abstract PDF; 'The Imaginary in the Documentary Image: Chris Marker's Level Five', Christa Blümlinger Abstract PDF; 'Montage, Militancy, Metaphysics: Chris Marker and André Bazin', Sarah Cooper Abstract PDF; 'Statues Also Die - But Their Death is not the Final Word', Matthias De Groof Abstract PDF; Autour de 1968, en France et ailleurs : Le Fond de l'air était rouge', Sylvain Dreyer Abstract PDF; '“If they don’t see happiness in the picture at least they’ll see the black”: Chris Marker’s Sans Soleil and the Lyotardian Sublime', Sarah French Abstract PDF; 'Crossing Chris: Some Markerian Affinities', Adrian Martin Abstract PDF; 'Petit Cinéma of the World or the Mysteries of Chris Marker', Susana S. Martins Abstract PDF
- Catherine Lupton, 'Chris Marker: In Memory of New Technology', Chris Marker: Notes from the Era of Imperfect Memory (date unknown)
- Zdenko Mandušić, 'Vision and Communism: The Films of Aleksandr Medvedkin and Chris Marker at “The Film Studies Center, Chicago' ((link via Notes from the Era of Imperfect Memory)
- Charlie Mansfield, 'Identity and Narration in Chris Marker's La Jetée and the Appearance of the Internet as a Symptom of Cold-War Anxiety', in eds. Mireille Robiere and Jan Bataens, Time, Narrative and the Fixed Image (Amsterdam: Eds Rodopi, 2010)
- Joana Pimenta, 'Travelling Through the Layers of Time: Review: Sarah Cooper (2008) Chris Marker', Film-Philosophy, 14.1, 2012
- Trevor Stark, ‘"Cinema in the Hands of the People”: Chris Marker, the Medvedkine Group, and the Potential of Militant Film', October, 139, Winter 2012 (link via Notes from the Era of Imperfect Memory)
- Roger Tailleur, 'Markeriana: A Scarcely Critical Description of the Work of Chris Marker', Rouge, 11, 2007
- Chuck Tryon, 'Letters from an Unknown Filmmaker: Chris Marker's Sans Soleil and the Politics of Memory', Rhizomes: Cultural Studies in Emerging Knowledge, 8, Spring 2004