Updated with further contents (September 6, 2013)!
|Screenshot from The Last House on the Left (Dennis Iliadis, 2009). Read Claire Henry's article about this remake of Wes Craven's 1972 film here.
The special launch issue of the Cine-Excess eJournal is entitled Subverting the Senses, Circumventing Limits and is edited by Mikita Brottman and John Mercer. It is described as follows:
[Issue 1] focuses on the theme of the controversial cult image in its political, historical and aesthetic contexts. With the resurgence of critical interest in the 1980s ‘video nasties’, as well as whole new generation of films being subject to official state control, the cult image is now becoming a crucial index between the censor and the censored. In order to explore the phenomenon fully, contributions to the launch issue considers a range of controversial cult case-studies, with the creators of these unsettling images commenting directly on these critical interpretations.The contents for the Subverting the Senses, Circumventing Limits are listed below and you can also read the abstracts of these papers here. There is a lot more of interest going on at the Cine-Excess website, though, so do be sure to take a good look around.
- A Cult Called Django: On The Controversial Tail Of A Transnational Bandito by Austin Fisher
- From Controversy To Cult: Franco Nero On Why Django Never Dies - Interview By Xavier Mendik
- The Last House On The Left: The Redemption Of The Remake By Claire Henry
- The Last House(s) On The Left: A Response To Claire Henry’s Article By Marc Sheffler
- 'Til (Faces Of) Death Do Us Part by Nicolo Gallio
- The Face Of Death: A Response by Director John A. Schwartz
House-Cleaning: Or What Its Audiences Can Tell Us About Ruggero Deodato’s Film By Martin Barker
- Debates On The Edge Of The Park: Ruggero Deodato And Giovanni Lombardo Radice Respond - Interviews By Giovanni Memola
- "People Who Think Outside The Box": British Audiences And Asian Extreme Films By Emma Pett
- Distributing Outside The Box: Tartan’s Development Of Asia Extreme - A Response To Emma Pett’s Article By Paul Smith
- No Pain, No Gain: Strategic Repulsion And The Human Centipede By Steve Jones
- More Than Just A Game: Breaking The Rules In The Bunny Game by Jenny Barrett
- My Monsterpiece: An Art Film By Rodleen Getsic
- An Official Afterword: The BBFC Responds To The Launch Issue Of The Cine-Excess eJournal
- Hammer Has Risen From The Grave A.D. 2012 Conference Report By Mark Mckenna
- The Cultural Mythology Of The Snuff Movie Conference Report By Mark Adams
- Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival Of Catalonia 4th-14th October 2012 Review By Xavier Mendik