|Cover of JOURNAL OF THE MOVING IMAGE 10, 2012 (Alternative cinemas in India)|
A new issue of Journal of the Moving Image Online, a great, online, open access publication, has hit the e-stands!
Film Studies For Free heard the news via film scholar and JMI editor Moinak Biswas, who has contributed a number of very fine pieces to Volume 10. There are also excellent articles on Mani Kaul (see also FSFF's memorial entry on this fine filmmaker), and on the brilliant MediaLab, a fantastic initiative by Department of Film Studies, Jadavpur University (also the publishers of JMI), by Anustup Bastu.
All the contents are linked to below. Great work!
- Editorial by Moinak Biswas
- The Persistence of Rajasthan in Indian Cinema : One Region, So Many Views by Kaushik Bhaumik (Deputy Director, Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema, New Delhi)
- John Abraham : Cinema and the Idea of the Collective by Rajan Kurai Krishnan (Senior Research Fellow, IDCR, Loyola College, Chennai)
- Alternative Cinema : Response of Indian Film Studies by Manas Ghosh (Assistant Professor, Dept. of Film Studies, Jadavpur University)
- The Story of Arri : Imagined Landscapes, Emergent Technologies and Bengali Cinema by Madhuja Mukherjee (Associate Professor and Head, Dept. of Film Studies, Jadavpur University)
- Spectres of the New Wave : The State of the Work of Mourning, and the New Cinema Aesthetic in a Regional Industry by Parichay Patra (Student, Dept. of Film Studies, Jadavpur University)
- Authoring Space, Gender and the Past : A Film Called Shubho Mahurat by Sumit Dey (Student, Dept. of Film Studies, Jadavpur University)
- Mani Kaul : DU : KH ke Prakar by Amrit Gangar
- Incomplete Testimonies : Tapan Sinha by Moinak Biswas (Associate Professor, Department of Film Studies, Jadavpur University)
- A Memorialization Without Destinying : A Revisitation of JU Media Lab's National Instruments Project Archive by Anustup Basu (Associate Professor of English, Cinema and Media, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)