|Frame grab of Robert Mitchum in The Wonderful Country (Robert Parrish, 1959). Read Pete Falconer's study of this film in the great new issue of MOVIE|
Woohoo! The wonderful issue 4 of MOVIE: A Journal of Film Criticism has hit the e-stands!
Edited by Andrew Klevan and Victor Perkins, this one is sure to be a classic. Highlights, for FSFF, include Andrew Sarris (on Buñuel's Viridiana ) and Robin Wood tribute archives, as well as the new 'Opening Shots' feature with great contributions by Charles Barr and Pete Falconer. But there are some truly remarkable feature articles in this issue, too, including Adam O'Brien on Hal Ashby's film The Last Detail and George Toles on cinematic images of luxury.
Thanks for the film critical luxury and largesse, MOVIE people!
MOVIE, Issue 4, 2013
- Regional Horizons in The Last Detail Adam O'Brien
- Luxury and Largesse in Film George Toles
- Talking Space in Vertigo Murray Pomerance
- Play It Again, Butch, Cricket, Chick, Smoke, Happy...: The Performances of Hoagy Carmichael as a Hollywood Bar-room Pianist Ian Garwood
- Rereading A Countess from Hong Kong: Action, Speech, and Style in Charlie Chaplin's Final Feature Donna Kornhaber
- Andrew Sarris: A Tribute
- The Devil and the Nun Andrew Sarris
- A Robin Wood Archive (2)
- Mashed Marlowe Robin Wood
- Controlling the Situation Robin Wood
- Poet of the Cinema Robin Wood
- Mad Smile of a Hollow Civilisation Robin Wood
- A Matter of Life and Death Robin Wood
This issue was designed by Lucy Fife Donaldson, John Gibbs, and James MacDowell.