Saturday 27 September 2008

Paul Newman, 1925-2008

One of the most intelligent Hollywood actors (and directors) ever, Paul Newman, died last Friday at the age of 83. Newman studied acting at Yale University and, under Lee Strasberg, at the Actors' Studio in New York City. His first film acting role was in The Silver Chalice (1954), and his career in the movies went on to span six decades.

There's a report and a good obituary on the BBC website (links HERE and HERE). And below you can find the three sections of a good video overview of Newman's career, together with that of his partner, Joanne Woodward, who survives him.







YouTube videos posted by Cammie37, respectively HERE, HERE, and HERE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and wanted to say how much I enjoy what I've read so far. And many thanks for linking to Cinebeats! I'll add your blog to my own links so I can keep up with your posts.

Catherine Grant said...

Kimberly, Thanks a lot for your nice comment and your link. I love your blog on 'cinema's Platinum Age' (60s 7 70s); keep up Cinebeats' great work.

Anonymous said...

New film open-access ejournal...

http://widescreenjournal.org/

Catherine Grant said...

Thanks Anonymous. See my posting below on 'Pan's Labyrinth, the Edit Room, and Wide Screen journal' from 9 September.