|Frame grab from Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979). Read Adrian Ivakhiv's essay on this film in the latest issue of Film Philosophy|
And the brilliant, online, film journal issues just keep on coming...
Film Studies For Free is delighted to bring you news of the latest offering from one of the highest quality e-journals of them all - Film-Philosophy.
FP, Vol 15, No 1 (2011) is a special issue on Phenomenology and Psychoanalysis, edited by David Sorfa. FSFF particularly liked Adrian Ivakhiv's 'ecocritical' essay which explores Tarkovsky's Stalker, along with Jacqueline Loeb's fine 'Foucauldian' study of sound in Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern. But there are other excellent contributions, too.
Readers should also note that it is now possible to donate to the journal. Film-Philosophy is an independent Open Access academic journal operating without recurring financial support. Donations of any amount to the journal are gratefully received and provide a means for the editors to continue to provide a journal of the highest quality to its readers. Just click on the "Donations" link on the FP website.
For those of you who are interested in phenomenological film studies, do take a look, if you haven't already, at FSFF's previous gathering of links to online and openly accessible work on this topic.
Table of Contents
- Kate Ince, 'Bringing Bodies Back In: For a Phenomenological and Psychoanalytic Film Criticism of Embodied Cultural Identity' PDF
- Paula Quigley, 'Undoing the Image: Film Theory and Psychoanalysis ' PDF
- Greg Tuck, 'Sex, Dialectics and the Misery of Happiness' PDF
- Kohei Furuya, 'Why Is Touch Sometimes So Touching?: The Phenomenology of Touch in Susan Streitfeld’s Female Perversions' PDF
- Dylan Trigg, 'The Return of the New Flesh: Body Memory in David Cronenberg['s The Fly] and Merleau-Ponty' PDF
- Laszlo Strausz, 'On the River: History as a Palimpsestic Narrative in The Danube Exodus' PDF
- Adrian J. Ivakhiv, 'The Anthrobiogeomorphic Machine: Stalking the Zone of Cinema' PDF
- Julia Vassilieva, 'Between Utopia and Event: Beyond the Banality of Local Politics in Eisenstein' PDF
- Christine Henderson, 'The Trials of Individuation in Late Modernity: Exploring Subject Formation in Antonioni's Red Desert' PDF
- William Verrone, 'Transgression and Transcendence in the Films of Werner Herzog' PDF
- Jacqueline Loeb, 'Dissonance Rising: Subversive Sound in Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern' PDF
- 'Brecht Today: Interview with Alexander Kluge' PDF by Angelos Koutsourakis
Film Festival Reports
- Venice Film Festival 2010: The Mad and the Bad and the Dangerous to Know PDF by John Bleasdale
- Berlin International Film Festival - Berlinale 2011 PDF Alison Elizabeth Frank
- Mark T. Conard, ed. (2009) The Philosophy of the Coen Brothers PDF by Taylor Benjamin Worley
- Frederick Wasser (2010) Steven Spielberg’s America PDF by Steven Rybin
- Claire Molloy (2010) Memento; Geoff King (2010) Lost in Translation; Gary Needham (2010) Brokeback Mountain. American Indies Series PDF by John Bleasdale
- Sidney Gottlieb and Richard Allen, eds. (2009) The Hitchcock Annual Anthology: Selected Essays from Volumes 10-15 PDF by Tifenn Brisset
- Richard Abel, ed. (2010) Encyclopedia of Early Cinema PDF by Carrie Giunta
- Jim Ellis (2009) Derek Jarman's Angelic Conversations PDF by Jason Wakefield
- Christopher Lindner, ed. (2009) The James Bond Phenomenon: A Critical Reader. 2nd Edition PDF by Lucy Bolton